My Apprenticeship - Wednesday, August 18, 2004

18 Aug 2004

In the summer of 2009 I revisited my 2004 summer apprenticeship at Object Mentor. What follows is the original 2004 post and then some 2009 commentary. This is the last post of the series.

Last day of XPAU and I’m pretty burnt. I’m typing this from the airport in Calgary where they inform me that they are running an hour behind. This is bad because my connecting flight in Las Vegas is an hour and 20 minutes after I land. So I’ll have 20 minutes to catch my flight, assuming they can keep to their prediction. I don’t have high hopes. I might have to miss work tomorrow.

Which would kinda suck because I need to figure out what’s going on this year. With Rylander and Miller gone, I’m going to need some time to plan with the new guys.

Today I slept in and skipped the morning stuff. Then I hung out in the FitFest room, writing code, and chatting with Micah, David, and Paul. Ken stopped by later and we said our goodbyes. I hope I see him sometime soon. The last address was on the history of the waterfall and agile. The presenter did a good job showing how the originator of waterfall was actually arguing against waterfall and for iterative development. And how iterative development actually has been going for 30-40 years. But it has been marginalized and contained. The hope is that the Agile movement can kill the waterfall once and for all. But, who knows, 40 years from now we might be just another slide in a presentation.

Me and the OM crew went out for one last bite after the conference wrapped. Hard to say goodbye to those guys. Paul and David live in the city so there’s a chance I’ll still see them, but Micah’s way, way out in the ‘burbs so that’ll be tough. Nothing a little effort can’t overcome.

Is this my last entry? It just might be, the apprenticeship is over. Thanks for reading.

I was pretty exhausted and down when I wrote those words. Setting up for a year of teaching takes a lot of work and I had done nothing. I was facing no sleep followed by a mad scramble to get ready for new students.

So what did happen? At this point I had already turned in my code submission to ThoughtWorks and when they didn’t get back to me after a few weeks I thought it was all over. What I didn’t know is that ThoughtWorks is known in the field for having a very long interview process. I had already talked to 2 different people and submitted code so I thought they had enough to make a decision. Sometime near the middle of September they called me in for a day of tests and interviewing. I got job a week or so after that and started in early October. Which meant that I had to leave school with the year just started, but my high school was cool about it and didn’t fine me or suspend my license (which they had the legal right to do).

I guess I could spend some time wishing I had continued this blog while working at ThoughtWorks, but instead I’m just going to be pleased that I managed to document so much of an important time in my life. There were days when I didn’t really feel like blogging after a day of getting my brain crushed by code but I’m glad I stuck with it as long as I did.

I still see Micah, David, and Paul fairly often, btw.